Born in Penrith, Cumberland in 1886, Horace Westmoreland was the second and last child of Emma and Thomas Westmoreland, of whom Alice was one year older sister.

The Westmoreland family had a successful tanning business in the city, which gave them money and time to spend all their time exploring the corners of Lake England when it was wild, mostly barren and empty. Tourists, and most importantly, only a few handfuls of rock climbing, generally mountain ditches and then only in winter, this is a training ground for middle-class climbers who come to the hills of Cumberland before going to the Alps. They were. On annual climbing trips

The Westmoreland family, on the other hand, were famous for their adventurous lifestyle; in fact, their father, aunt and uncle were famous for their ropeless climb to Pillar Rock in 1873, the second climb by a woman.

What may not be known is that Rasti, as he was told, made professional ascents in 90 years, and the first ascents were made to his credit, both in the Lake District and in Rocky Canada. .

It all started on his first birthday, when he and his 2-year-old sister were taken by their parents to an overnight night camp on Norfolk Island in Ulswater. Two weeks later, they were both taken to Hollyn Peak to take part in the fire at Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. At the age of 4, his father took him to Borgham Castle, where they both climbed to the second floor without using a rope and retreated again.

On his 11th birthday, he has to meet the “father of English rock climbing” – Walter Perry Husket Smith, and three other prominent mountaineers in Lickland – John W. Robinson, Alice Carr and Jeffrey Hastings, as they returned from a failed attempt. At a waterfall in Tarn Crag above Grisedale. What he did not really know at the time was that his name would be credited with the first ascent of this daring ascent 13 years later, and 2 years later, he walks with his host in the Rocky Mountains of Canada. Smith, when the rockfall could well have ended Hasket Smith’s ascent, if not his life, but the sources of the time, kept the incident a secret.

On his fifteenth birthday (1901), he climbed the pillar with his sister and father, all without ropes, a daring masterpiece for the time, and made several ropeless attempts in some of the ascending ditches at Dovidal and Dipdale. to the

When his father died in 1909, he really became a man with personal belongings, so he was able to go mountaineering almost every day. During this new release, he met and befriended George and Ashley Abraham, with whom he was on many occasions to ascend.

Despite regular climbing with his older cousins ​​- John Monsieur and Arthur North – exploring many local cliffs in 1910 was, to be honest, the busiest time he had ever climbed. It began climbing Tremadoc and Carreg Wasted in January with George and Ashley Abraham, where they climbed extensively before returning to the lakes to continue their climb until the end of February. In March, along with others, he made his first climb to leave Easter in Crag Ellipse, and in April he made his first climb to Blizzard Chimney. He and his cousin did more winter hikes in St. Craig. Fairfield; Smoke; Pike Dalivagon; And Catchedicam. In June, he and Abraham’s brothers embarked on a photographic climb to the Alps. During their voyage, they made the first ascents that formed the basis of George’s book: “In the Alps and the British Crabs.”

Returning to the lakes, Rasti continued to climb with his cousins, making the first ascents of Chuck Galli and Doo Craig, in addition to the second ascent of Dollywaggon Gully, probably the first complete complete ascent in a single ascent.

In 1911, he went to Canada and worked with a mountaineering party hosted by Arthur Wheeler, the founder of the Canadian Alpine Club. During his three years with Wheeler, Rasti climbed many rocky peaks in Canada with Swiss guides such as Conrad Cain, the Fouez brothers, and others. His list of ascents is impressive (some first and second ascents), some of which invite only a few frequent ascents. His ascents total more than sixty peaks and peaks, including the first one to climb the White Rock cliff.

He was assigned to the Gordon Highlands Regiment 50th Army, and after World War I, he was assigned to the Royal Canadian Transport Company. During his time on the front, he was repeatedly nominated for deployment notices because of his courage, when a horse-drawn train fired on its ammunition and led soldiers to the front lines in Ipres and Sam.

He returned to Canada after the war, served in the Canadian Army, and mountaineering and skiing if possible. He was to explore rock climbing in Nova Scotia, was instrumental in discovering skiing sites in Quebec, and made significant ascents in Vancouver and Vancouver Island, some of which are seldom repeated. In addition, he was an avid rider who competed in many competitions in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and won several times in his (heavy horse) class, as well as being a good amateur golfer and a versatile skier.

In 1936, he and his best friend Dr. PB Finn (Director of Atlantic Fisheries) went to the Alps for two weeks, during which time they climbed Unttergabellahon, Riffelhorn (three different routes), Rimpfischhorn, and then They closed the summit. Vacationing by climbing the Matterhorn When returning to Cumberland, Gerald Greenbeck and others formed the Lake District Ski Club, which he had been invited to chair, and with which he remained in contact for the rest of his life.

Returning to Canada, he made his first East and West Lion winter climb outside Vancouver. He made his first winter skiing trip across the Yoho Valley. He discovered a hill called the Eagle’s Nest and made the first ascents on all routes in summer and winter. He wrote endless articles on mountaineering and mountaineering for local newspapers. He gave frequent video lectures on the subject and participated fully in the Mountain Warfare training program organized by the Canadian Alps in the Rocky Mountains. This led him to secretly visit the War Office in London, which led to the dispatch of Levitt scouts to a training program under Frank Smith.

With the outbreak of World War II, Rasti received permission from the Canadian government to set up and run the country’s first official military warfare training camp on the terrace, east of Prince Rupert. While traveling there by train, he developed severe gallstones and the gallbladder was removed. As a result, in 1945 he was discharged from the army with the rank of colonel, returned to his beloved Cumberland, and settled in Keswick until his retirement.

Anyone who did not allow grass to grow under his feet never fell to the ground a few days after arriving home and was a crab.

A year later in 1946, he went to the aid of Wilfried Nice (Everest veteran) who had broken his femur while climbing the Great Gable. The incident led to the formation of the Borodil Mountain Rescue Team, which later changed its name to Keswick MRT. He eventually received the OBE for his mountain rescue services, and in addition to receiving the Silver Rope Award from the Canadian Alps in 1947, he was the only mountaineer to do so that year.

During his life, he climbed and climbed the hills and hills of England and Canada with many prominent climbers. Haskett Smith, George Seatree, Norman Collie, Noel Odell, Bentley Beetham, Harry Griffin, Godfrey Solly, Tony Mason-Hornby (Ogwen Cottage), John Disley and many more. In the 1960s he suffered from stomach cancer – underwent 15 major surgeries – lived a few weeks until 1964 – but was still climbing and walking in 1976 at the age of 90, without a hat, harness or other mountaineering assistants. Today and with full wearing time catheter dress!

He published The Adventure in Mountaineering (1964), wrote articles for various mountaineering magazines, and made the first live foreign radio while rock climbing with Stanley Williamson in Borodil, the broadcaster responsible for clearing Captain Tyne. The culprit is the Manchester United Munich air disaster.

He was really calm and unassuming and preferred to be in the shadow of propaganda. He was very interested in introducing many beginners to rock climbing and skiing and believed in the proverb that climbers should not fall and therefore should learn climbing and climbing to improve their climbing techniques and abilities.

On November 24, 1984, Rasti finally lost his life and unfortunately suffered from dementia and died in a nursing home near Kirkby Stephen.

His father and uncle in the 1830s built a fort, now known as the Westmoreland Corner, where the ashes were actually scattered, to show a special view of the Great Gable, thought to be the best of all lakes. . He is survived by an only son, Horace Lindurst, and an only grandson, Dicken, who now lives in Australia.

Source by Frank Grant